12.07.2007

mouthing

Holden was mouthing EVERYTHING yesterday. I sat with him for 30 minutes on the couch, just trying to keep his fingers out of his mouth. Pencils, toys, his shirt, paper, whatever he could find - was in his mouth. He had OT yesterday, thankfully, and they kept him for about 15 minutes longer than his normal 30 minute session. She gave him a vibrating teething toy and he used that most of the session and was still able to focus on what she wanted him to do.

Speaking of which. She had counting bears and the corresponding bowls. There are 4 colors - blue, red, yellow and green. She put red and green bears on the desk - with the red and green bowls. Using hand over hand, she showed him where the red bears went...in the red bowl. Then he picked out all of the red ones and put them in the right bowl. Then she did the same with blue and yellow. He picked out all of the blue and put them in the blue bowl. I thought maybe it was a coincidence, but she said it wasn't. He moved the other one's out of the way just to get to the color he was working on. Now, if he could just talk and tell us things!

Today he had ABA at the clinic for 2 hours. He's doing well there and I've decided to only sit in for the first 1/2 hour or so of the session. The remainder of the time, I sit in the waiting room. He does okay without me in there. His therapist said he was saying "mama" when I wasn't there. When it was time for him to come out, I went to the door and looked through the glass. He saw me and started running and smiling. Now that we're home he's very stimmy, but I think that's just because of the intense therapy he had this morning. He'll "even" off in a little while, I think.

No comments: