10.12.2008

in like flynn

FINALLY. We have a house. We've been living with my brother-in-law, his wife, and their 6 month old for 2 months. And the house we lived in ... not so big. So, yeah, 4 adults and 4 kids, enough to drive you nutty! We found a place about 5 miles away and moved in this weekend. We don't have furniture yet, as we sold every thing we had before we left Florida. I found a couch on craigslist for $75, sleeper sofa. For now, it's me, Zoe and Jackson on the sleeper sofa. Dietrich and Holden in the bedroom on a cot-like pad on the floor. It sucks, yo. But, not near as much as it sucked trying to live in someone else's house with kids!

Holden's doing great in school. The first week, he cried every day when I dropped him off. Then by the weekend, he became "himself" again. Then on Monday, he cried worse than ever! By Tuesday, he was saying "HI!" when we pulled into the school. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday ... more of the same. Smiles, and walking to class with his teacher after telling me "bye-bye". I love that kid!

Although he's doing wonderful in school, and still doing great in therapy (ABA), at home he's much more withdrawn. It's hard to watch. Yet, I know that it's just the changes that's going on. He's processing a lot...too much for him. And, although he can hold it together for 8 hours M-F, and then at therapy on Saturdays from 9:30-12:30 ... any other time, he's very withdrawn and to himself. I try to tell myself that he just needs 'decompression' time, and that all of this is so new to him. He's just having a hard time processing. I hope it's better, and soon.

With all that said - tonight, he climbed up on the sleeper sofa with me. Took the wooden train he has and I started saying "chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga ... chooooo choooo", and would tickle him. After 1 time, he climbed up next to me and said "choo choo!". So, I did it again. He loved it! I love when he engages us. It really makes all this so worth it.

No comments: