10.09.2007

MB12 shots

Last night, we started the MB12 shots on Holden. Luckily, I was able to do it once he was asleep. I use EMLA cream to numb the area, mark it with a marker, and then I put him on the floor to sleep. About 30-45 minutes later, I gave him the shot and although he jerked a bit, he didn't wake up. So, yay! I have a little experience giving them to myself when I had to take insulin while pregnant with him. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Now we wait. He gets them every 3 days. I've heard, read, and researched the side effects, which seems to generally include: hyperactivity / more stimming, sleep disturbances (either better sleep, or worse - could go either way), and mouthing of objects. The consensus is that if you can tolerate the side effects, then hang in there and they'll begin to diminish within 1-2 months. Most parents continue the shots even with the side effects because the benefits are worth it. I'm hoping for the same.

Wish us luck.

No comments: