1.26.2008

what's going on???

I have no idea, but I'm not changing anything. I don't know if it was the IV chelation from last Thursday, or if things are just starting to "click" for Holden. He had a great week, doing things I haven't seen him do before. His ABA therapists all said he's making a lot more sounds. Not noises, but actual sounds. 3 days in a row, I caught him imitating things from TV. He was watching Barney once (I know, I know) and I caught him out of the corner of my eye doing something with his feet. I thought "oh, its just one of his dances he's doing". Then I looked at the TV and saw the kids dancing, doing exactly what Holden was doing. They started swinging their arms around and he watched and did the same thing...again. Just yesterday, he was watching a Baby Einstein video and there was a windup toy on there that would jump...walk, then jump again. Holden stood in front of the TV and jumpped every time the toy did. And smiled. I also heard some verbal imitation while he was watching a video, too.

Gross motor imitation is what we've been focusing on in ABA for him. It seems to facilitate verbal imitation. He's done GMI on occassion, but most of the time, its been prompted. This week, the times I caught him doing it, it was NOT prompted at all. Completely independent. I wish I would've had a video camera when he was doing it ... but I hadn't expected it, so I wasn't prepared.

Was it a fluke? Maybe. But I don't think so. Was it due to the little bit of detox that the one IV chelation would have accomplished? Possibly. Or, is it because he's started ABA thearpy 4 days a week this past week? Could be. Whatever the reason, I'm not stopping any of it.

No comments: