3.10.2009

potty training

We started potty training, hesitantly, on February 23rd. Needless to say, I was extremely stressed even thinking about potty training. It was written into his IEP with the school district, so thankfully, I had the expertise of his teacher (ABA therapist). They follow the Azrin & Foxx method of potty training and she explained everything to me in detail before we started. There's a punishment component to this method, which is what had me the most nervous. I prayed and prayed and prayed there would be FEW accidents so that we didn't have to implement "positive practice" very often.

Well, I am happy and proud to report that 3 full days after starting the program, he initiated on his own. Meaning, he went into the bathroom (without prompts), pulled his pants down (without help), sat on the potty, and went! All unprompted. All on his own. We still had a few accidents even after the 1st initiation. And the 1st weekend at home with him was ... really really stressful for me. We only had 1 accident, on Saturday morning, but after that, he insisted on sitting on the potty for what seemed like hours at a time. I finally gave up and just let him come out when he was ready. I think, looking back, that he was trying extremely hard to avoid "positive practice" and figured if he just sat on the potty, there would be no accidents.

We made it through that weekend and by Wednesday - he brought home his official "potty training certificate"! So, he was officially potty trained. In order for it to be "official", he had to have 20 initiations (like what I mentioned above) WITHOUT any accidents. He did it! Goodbye pullups! And, technically, it only took 9 days. NINE days to potty train. It took me 9 months (or that's what it felt like) to potty train Zoe. Now, mind you, he's still not entirely BM trained ... but that's coming. And, he has gone poop in the potty plenty of times over the past 2 weeks, so he knows what he's supposed to do. He's just a tad bit scared and nervous to sit on the potty and actually go, I think. But, if he picked up on the "pee-pee in the potty", as he says, then it shouldn't be much of a problem to get everything in the potty.

I'm so proud of him.

No comments: